This website uses cookie or similar technologies, to enhance your browsing experience and provide personalised recommendations. By continuing to use our website, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
IndiaPost LiveIndiaPost LiveIndiaPost Live
  • Home
  • India
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
IndiaPost LiveIndiaPost Live
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • India
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • India News
  • State
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Business
  • Trending
  • Sports
  • Career
  • Lifestyle
  • Languages
Follow US
© 2024 NM Media. All Rights Reserved.

News » India News » cash-for-job scam: TN minister Senthil Balaji delaying trial, ED alleges in SC

India News

cash-for-job scam: TN minister Senthil Balaji delaying trial, ED alleges in SC

NM Desk
Last updated: 14 December, 2024 10:32 PM
NM Desk
Share
After 14 months in jail, Senthil Balaji gets bail from SC in money laundering case
cash-for-job scam: TN minister Senthil Balaji delaying trial, ED alleges in SC

New Delhi: The Enforcement Directorate has sought cancellation of bail granted to Tamil Nadu minister V Senthil Balaji, granted by the top court earlier in September, in a money laundering case related to the cash-for-job scam, accusing him of having deliberately attempted to delay the trial court proceedings.

Contents
Balaji has violated direction given by apex court by seeking adjournments on frivolous grounds: EDSome of the key witnesses earlier worked under Balaji when he was transport minister: EDApex Court on September 26 granted bail to Balaji in money laundering caseApex Court earlier this month agreed to examine if witnesses against Balaji under pressure after he was made minister

The ED has filed the affidavit in a plea filed by one of the victims seeking cancellation of bail granted to Balaji on the ground that witnesses will be under pressure in the case after his appointment as a minister.

Balaji has violated direction given by apex court by seeking adjournments on frivolous grounds: ED

The ED has said that the ongoing examination of prosecution witnesses in the trial of the money laundering case has been derailed on account of Balaji moving applications after his release from jail seeking copies of digital records and seeking change of counsel in the midst of trial. This blatant disregard for the top court’s instructions is a clear attempt to procrastinate and delay the trial proceedings and he has violated the direction given by the top court by seeking adjournments on nonexistent or frivolous grounds or creating hurdles in the early disposal of the cases.

Read More

Yoga is a precious gift for humanity
Yoga is a precious gift for humanity
A Clarion Call for Hindu Unity as RSS enters its 100 years
A Clarion Call for Hindu Unity as RSS enters its 100 years
Rishabh Pant breaks MS Dhoni’s huge record with fifty in 1st Test vs New Zealand
Rishabh Pant breaks MS Dhoni’s huge record with fifty in 1st Test vs New Zealand

“The aforementioned facts unequivocally demonstrate V Senthil Balaji’s blatant disregard for the judicial process and his deliberate attempts to delay the trial. Despite this court’s (apex court) directive to expedite the trial, V Senthil Balaji has drawn out the cross examination of PW- 4 on one pretext or another for nearly two months,” the ED said.

Some of the key witnesses earlier worked under Balaji when he was transport minister: ED

The ED has also said that some of the key witnesses cited in the chargesheet are individuals who earlier worked under the supervision of Balaji during his tenure as transport minister and “This proximity between V Senthil Balaji and the employees of the transport corporation raises serious concerns about potential influence and impartiality in fair and effective trial now that V Senthil Balaji has reassumed office as a minister.”

Apex Court on September 26 granted bail to Balaji in money laundering case

The apex court had on September 26 granted bail to Balaji in the money laundering case after over 15 months, noting there was no possibility of the completion of trial of the case in the near future. Balaji was sworn in as a minister in the Tamil Nadu cabinet again on September 29 following grant of bail by the top court and his release from the jail.

Apex Court earlier this month agreed to examine if witnesses against Balaji under pressure after he was made minister

The apex court had on December 2, while hearing the plea filed by one of the victims seeking cancellation of Balaji’s bail, expressed its concern on he being appointed a minister in the Tamil Nadu government just days after being granted bail in the money laundering case and agreed to examine the plea seeking cancellation of bail.

The bench, however, had made it clear that it would not interfere with its September 26 order granting bail to Balaji in the money laundering case and had said that it it would not issue any notice on the plea seeking cancellation of bail granted to him but limit the scope of enquiry to whether the witnesses in the case would be “under pressure” to depose in the case.

Solicitor General Tushar Mehta on Friday (December 13) told a bench comprising Justice Abhay S Oka and Justice Pankaj Mithal that it needs to file an affidavit in the matter as Balaji has been sabotaging the trial of the case and the bench allowed the central agency to file the affidavit.

The matter would be heard on December 18.

You Might Also Like

Bengaluru: Froth appears in Chandapura lake despite NGT’s strict orders to government

Dhanteras wishes in Marathi and Gujarati for 2024: Share prosperity and joy

Kedarnath helicopter service ferries 3,074 pilgrims in 3 days; ticket bookings till June 22 sold out

Stopped going out for morning walk due to rising levels of pollution: CJI Chandrachud

22 years later: UP family reunites with son lost in childhood | India News

TAGGED:AIADMKChargesheetDMKEDFraming of chargesMadras High courtMinister Senthil BalajiMoney laundering caseSenthil BalajiSupreme CourtTrial
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Whatsapp Telegram Copy Link

Latest News

indiapost live
They have history and history of overlooking that as well: Jaishankar on Pak-US ties
India News
Centre conspiring to stop free ration of 55 lakh Punjabis: CM Bhagwant Mann
Centre conspiring to stop free ration of 55 lakh Punjabis: CM Bhagwant Mann
India News
Education revolution in Punjab: Government schools soar with record results under AAP, says CM Mann
LPG tanker blast in Hoshiarpur kills 2, injures 21; Punjab CM announces aid
India News
Bengal: Teacher thrashed by group of youth for objecting to public drinking
Bengal: Teacher thrashed by group of youth for objecting to public drinking
India News

You also Like

Apple Ships Made In India iPhones Worth $6 Billion: End Of China’s Dominance?
India News

Apple Ships Made In India iPhones Worth $6 Billion: End Of China’s Dominance?

NM Desk NM Desk 3 Min Read
Karnataka health minister denies medical mafia claims, announces ambulance reforms
India News

Karnataka health minister denies medical mafia claims, announces ambulance reforms

NM Desk NM Desk 2 Min Read
Pakistan introduces free 30min online visas for Sikh pilgrims from US, UK, and Canada
India News

Pakistan introduces free 30min online visas for Sikh pilgrims from US, UK, and Canada

NM Desk NM Desk 2 Min Read
IndiaPost LiveIndiaPost Live
Follow US
© 2024 NM Media. All Rights Reserved.
  • About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account