This website uses cookie or similar technologies, to enhance your browsing experience and provide personalised recommendations. By continuing to use our website, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
IndiaPost LiveIndiaPost LiveIndiaPost Live
  • Home
  • India
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
IndiaPost LiveIndiaPost Live
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • India
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • India News
  • State
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Business
  • Trending
  • Sports
  • Career
  • Lifestyle
  • Languages
Follow US
© 2024 NM Media. All Rights Reserved.

News » India News » Supreme Court defers to April hearing on pleas relating to Places of Worship Act

India News

Supreme Court defers to April hearing on pleas relating to Places of Worship Act

NM Desk
Last updated: 17 February, 2025 3:21 PM
NM Desk
Share
Supreme Court defers to April hearing on pleas relating to Places of Worship Act
Supreme Court defers to April hearing on pleas relating to Places of Worship Act

New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday (February 17) deferred to April first week the hearing on a bunch of pleas related to the Places of Worship (Special Provisions) Act, 1991 mandating to maintain the religious character of a place as it existed on August 15, 1947

Contents
Pending petitions without notices stand dismissed with liberty to file an application raising additional grounds: Apex CourtThere is a limit to which petitions can be filed, apex court earlier in the day saidApex court is seized of several pleas on Places of Worship ActSeveral pleas for impleadment have been filed against pleas challenging 1991 law

A bench comprising Chief Justice of India (CJI) Sanjiv Khanna and Justice Sanjay Kumar, while deferring the matter, said the pleas concerning the 1991 law would be heard be a three-judge bench.

Pending petitions without notices stand dismissed with liberty to file an application raising additional grounds: Apex Court

The bench said any pending writ petitions in the matter in which notice has not been issued would stand as dismissed and granted liberty to such petitioners to file applications raising fresh grounds.

Read More

Did not organise it, was invited: Karnataka CM Siddaramaiah defends attending RCB event
Did not organise it, was invited: Karnataka CM Siddaramaiah defends attending RCB event
BJP to launch Dalit-focused counter-offensive to deflect Ambedkar row
BJP to launch Dalit-focused counter-offensive to deflect Ambedkar row
BMS’s foundation day is a movement, not just a commemoration: RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat
BMS’s foundation day is a movement, not just a commemoration: RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat

“We are constrained to pass this order after taking note of the number of fresh petitions filed. The pending writ petitions, which have no notices, stand dismissed with liberty to file an application raising additional grounds, if any. The new IA will only be allowed if there is any new point or new legal issue that has not been raised in the pending petitions,” the bench said.

A three-judge bench earlier on December 12 last year heard the matter, in which it had restrained all courts in the country from passing any interim or final orders on pending petitions seeking to reclaim religious places.

There is a limit to which petitions can be filed, apex court earlier in the day said

Earlier in the day, the bench expressed its displeasure over several petitions being filed in the matter and said that it may not take up the matter today as it was sitting in a combination of two judges.

“There is a limit to which petitions can be filed. So many IAs (interim applications) have been filed… we might not be able to take it up”, CJI Khanna said earlier in the day and indicated that the date may be given in March after senior advocate Indira Jaising, who appeared for a litigant, mentioned a fresh plea before the bench for hearing during the day.

CJI-led bench last week, while ordering the listing of a plea filed by Samajwadi Party leader and Kairana MP Iqra Choudhary with other pending pleas on the 1991 law on February 17 without issuing a notice, had said, “Why are so many new petitions being filed? Every week we get one.”

Apex court is seized of several pleas on Places of Worship Act

The top court is seized of of several petitions challenging the constitutional validity of the 1991 Act, including Public Interest Litigations (PILs) filed by lawyer Ashwini Upadhyay and former Rajya Sabha MP Subramanian Swamy.

Several pleas for impleadment have been filed against pleas challenging 1991 law

Several pleas for impleadment into the pending matter have been filed against the pleas challenging the Places of Worship Act, including pleas filed by Gyanvapi Mosque Management Committee, Varanasi, Jamiat Ulama-I-Hind, Indian National Congress, SP MP Iqra Choudhary, CPI (M) through politburo member Prakash Karat, All India Majlis-e-Ittehad-ul-Muslimeen (AIMIM) chief Asaduddin Owaisi and others.

You Might Also Like

Banu Mushtaq bags International Booker Prize for ‘Heart Lamp’. Who is she?

Kathua attacks: Combing op underway after gunfire between hiding terrorists, security forces

Delhi HC dismisses plea seeking to de-register Asaduddin Owaisi-led AIMIM as political party

Temperatures drop in Delhi after mild showers, IMD predicts rains for North India

Probe finds multiple agencies’ negligence responsible for Silkyara Tunnel collapse

TAGGED:AIMIMCongress partyConstitutional validity of Places of Worship ActCPI (M)gyanvapiGyanvapi Mosque management committeeIndian National CongressPlaces of Worship ActPrakash KaratSambhalSupreme Court
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Whatsapp Telegram Copy Link

Latest News

image editor output image812472244 1770024678844
Singer Jasmeen Akhtar drops her latest single Malak Dyaal
Entertainment
IMG 20260202 WA0000
Indie Artist Prabhanjan Unveils First Look of His Upcoming Afro-Desi Single ‘Thugwa’
Entertainment
indiapost live
They have history and history of overlooking that as well: Jaishankar on Pak-US ties
India News
Centre conspiring to stop free ration of 55 lakh Punjabis: CM Bhagwant Mann
Centre conspiring to stop free ration of 55 lakh Punjabis: CM Bhagwant Mann
India News

You also Like

Maha Kumbh: Controversy erupts over installation of Mulayam’s statue in fair area
India News

Maha Kumbh: Controversy erupts over installation of Mulayam’s statue in fair area

NM Desk NM Desk 3 Min Read
After 14 months in jail, Senthil Balaji gets bail from SC in money laundering case
India News

SC to examine if witnesses against Senthil under pressure after he was made minister

NM Desk NM Desk 3 Min Read
Vijay identifies DMK and BJP as main opponents
India News

Vijay identifies DMK and BJP as main opponents

NM Desk NM Desk 2 Min Read
IndiaPost LiveIndiaPost Live
Follow US
© 2024 NM Media. All Rights Reserved.
  • About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account