This website uses cookie or similar technologies, to enhance your browsing experience and provide personalised recommendations. By continuing to use our website, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
IndiaPost LiveIndiaPost LiveIndiaPost Live
  • Home
  • India
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
IndiaPost LiveIndiaPost Live
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • India
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • India News
  • State
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Business
  • Trending
  • Sports
  • Career
  • Lifestyle
  • Languages
Follow US
© 2024 NM Media. All Rights Reserved.

News » India News » ‘No end to hurt sentiments in India, where are we heading’: SC asks Karnataka to take action against those preventing release of ‘Thug Life’

India News

‘No end to hurt sentiments in India, where are we heading’: SC asks Karnataka to take action against those preventing release of ‘Thug Life’

NM Desk
Last updated: 19 June, 2025 2:13 PM
NM Desk
Share
‘No end to hurt sentiments in India, where are we heading’: SC asks Karnataka to take action against those preventing release of ‘Thug Life’
‘No end to hurt sentiments in India, where are we heading’: SC asks Karnataka to take action against those preventing release of ‘Thug Life’

New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Thursday (June 19) directed the State of Karnataka to prominently take appropriate action under the law, including damages, if any individual or group prevent the release of movie or resort to coercion or violence.

A bench comprising Justice Ujjal Bhuyan and Justice Manmohan recorded the response of the State of Karnataka paving the way for the release of actor Kamal Haasan’s movie “Thug Life” in the state and directed the state government to contain any “divisive element” posing as a threat to the release of the film in the state.

The bench, while closing the case related to the non-release of the movie in the state over Haasan’s comments about Kannada language, expressed its displeasure where sentiment of someone was hurt by utterances and the film was stalled from releasing, or a standup show was cancelled or an artist was stopped from reciting a poem.

Read More

PM Modi lauds EC’s ‘exemplary efforts’ as India celebrates National Voters’ Day
‘Let’s preserve the values of our Constitution’: PM Modi on 76th Republic Day
‘AAP fighting for rights of Purvanchalis’: Sanjay Singh slams BJP’s allegations
‘AAP fighting for rights of Purvanchalis’: Sanjay Singh slams BJP’s allegations
PM Modi holds high-level meet with top security and defence officials
PM Modi holds high-level meet with top security and defence officials

“We cannot allow this to happen. Just because of an opinion, should a movie be stopped? A stand-up comedy should be stopped? Recital of a poem should be stopped?,” the bench asked during the hearing and added, “There is no end to hurt sentiments in India. If a stand-up comedian says something, sentiments are hurt and there is vandalism…where are we heading?”

The apex court recorded the submissions made by the State of Karnataka in its affidavit in which it categorically said that it has not imposed any restriction on the release of the movie and if the producer decides to release film, the State government will provide full protection and security.

The bench also said that the respondents in the case are bind by the statements they have made before the top court.

The bench, however, refused petitioner’s prayer to lay down guidelines and impose some cost to deal with such cases.

The top court earlier this week pulled up the State of Karnataka for non-release of the film in the State over controversy over Haasan’s comments about Kannada language and had given one day of time to the state government to apprise it about the release of the movie in the state.

The top court, while asking the State to must ensure the release of the movie in Karnataka, had said during the last hearing that mob and vigilantes cannot be allowed to take to the streets and rule of law has to be established and guns cannot be put to head of people to stop them from watching the film. The court had also transferred to the apex court the matter related to the non-release of the movie pending before the Karnataka High Court and had posted the matter for further hearing on Thursday.

Hassan-starrer movie “Thug Life” released in cinema halls across the country on June 5, however, it could not be released in the State of Karnataka after Hassan’s reported comments about Kannada language suggesting that “Kannada was born out of Tamil” made at a promotional event in Chennai sparked a major controversy.

You Might Also Like

Emerging Asia Cup: India A continue dominant run with emphatic win over UAE

DMK to fight Waqf Amendment Bill in Supreme Court

Police arrests thief with property worth Rs 57 lakh, bungalow in Mumbai

Uttarakhand works towards implementing the country’s first yoga policy, says CM Dhami

Sambhal mosque survey: SC should intervene & ensure justice, says Priyanka Gandhi

TAGGED:Kamal HassanKannada languageKarnataka GOVERNMENTKarnataka High CourtNon-release of Thug Life in KarnatakaSupreme CourtThug Life
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Whatsapp Telegram Copy Link

Latest News

indiapost live
They have history and history of overlooking that as well: Jaishankar on Pak-US ties
India News
Centre conspiring to stop free ration of 55 lakh Punjabis: CM Bhagwant Mann
Centre conspiring to stop free ration of 55 lakh Punjabis: CM Bhagwant Mann
India News
Education revolution in Punjab: Government schools soar with record results under AAP, says CM Mann
LPG tanker blast in Hoshiarpur kills 2, injures 21; Punjab CM announces aid
India News
Bengal: Teacher thrashed by group of youth for objecting to public drinking
Bengal: Teacher thrashed by group of youth for objecting to public drinking
India News

You also Like

Tracker for Cyclone Storm Dana: Best Websites for Real-Time Updates
India News

Tracker for Cyclone Storm Dana: Best Websites for Real-Time Updates

NM Desk NM Desk 4 Min Read
Prince Narula, Yuvika Chaudhary drop FIRST pic with newborn baby girl | See here
India News

Prince Narula, Yuvika Chaudhary drop FIRST pic with newborn baby girl | See here

NM Desk NM Desk 3 Min Read
SC asks Centre to decide death row convict Rajoana’s mercy petition by March 18
India News

SC asks Centre to decide death row convict Rajoana’s mercy petition by March 18

NM Desk NM Desk 3 Min Read
IndiaPost LiveIndiaPost Live
Follow US
© 2024 NM Media. All Rights Reserved.
  • About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account